The Simple Beauty Hack Experts Swear By - H20
With so much emphasis on the importance on our cleanse, tone & moisturise ritual, often we forget the most critical component of our skincare regime: drinking purified, filtered water… & lots of it.
We all know daily water intake is essential to our wellbeing. Adequate hydration supports our digestion, circulation, nutrient absorption, detoxification processes, healthy weight management & mental clarity, just to name a few benefits of this life-sustaining substance. What is often overlooked, however, is the essential role water plays in keeping our complexion healthy, youthful & radiant. Take a moment to think of that friend or family member that always has a certain ‘glow’ about them… chances are they are making hydration a priority in their health & beauty regime. If Kendall Jenner claims that “drinking plenty of water” is her no. 1 beauty secret, then there must be something to it.
So, why is drinking water essential for hydrated skin?
Our skin is the largest organ in the body, which is made up by a myriad of cells. Skin cells, just like all other cells in the body, are made up of water & therefore, require water (& plenty of it) in order to perform its necessary functions. Without adequate intake, our skin will start to appear dry which means that fine lines/wrinkles become more visible. Other symptoms of dehydrated skin include flakiness, tightness & in some cases, breakouts.
The reason dehydration can lead to breakouts is that water (purified water, that is) helps our body to flush our toxins. If we don’t consume enough h20, it throws off the balance of oil & water in our skin, which can lead to clogged pores. Not ideal!
How to hydrate our skin
Whilst it is helpful to apply a topical moisturiser to improvewith the appearance of dry skin, the single most important thing we can do is increase our water intake. It is recommended that we drink at least eight glasses of water per day, correction, *eight glasses of filtered water to ensure that you’re not adding to your toxic load, by unknowingly consuming chlorine & unnecessary chemicals. You can learn more about this in our previous blog post Healthy Hydration
Our Brooke Water bottle is an Advanced Water Filter bottle designed for this exact reason - to ensure you are drinking the cleanest water possible. Our patented glass drink bottle with carbon filter comprises of a micro fibre membrane and a carbon filtration system to achieve professional grade purified water. It is powerful enough to work for all types of water, from tap through to stream water when hiking. This is the must have water bottle for travel and there is no excuse not to reach your recommended eight glasses per day!
As well as preventing breakouts, dryness & flakey skin, there are a number of motivators to drink water to keep our skin happy & healthy, including:
- Improved skin tone: Our blood is made up of 90% water so in order to increase blood flow (which in turn improves skin tone), we need to drink plenty of h20
- Slows down the ageing process: Drinking waterimproves skin elasticity as hydrated skin is better able to retain moisture. As we touched on, dry skin makes fine lines more pronounced, so drinking water can help to slow down this natural process
- Reduces water retention / puffiness: When we’re dehydrated, our skin can start to appear ‘puffy’ as we’re actually retaining water, which is usually most visible in our face/eyes
- Speeds up healing: As mentioned, our skin contains cells that require water in order to function optimally. So, for example, if we get sun burnt or cut ourselves whilst cooking, hydrated skin will heal faster than skin that is dehydrated
- Supports gut health: Drinking water is essential for our gut health which, as we all know by now, is essential for all aspects of our wellbeing, internally & externally. If we have a healthy gut, this will be reflected in our pores
Instead of splashing out on the latest moisturiser or skincare serum, it’s time to invest in a premium filtered water bottle for a glowing & enviable complexion. You’ll notice the difference to your skin, energy & mental clarity in a matter of days! Try it & see for yourself.